Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Unbelievable-this Marine is almost my neighbor!



The rest of Tim McLaughlin's story really should be read, it's a great example of one of America's best. Here's a piece of it to peak your interest.

On April 9, my tank was the first to roll into Paradise Square in Baghdad. The world’s media were there, too, confined to the Ishtar and Palestine hotels, but I didn’t know that at the time. I was scanning for people who were trying to kill me. Turns out the bad guys were a few blocks to the northeast where my friend Chad’s platoon was. My American flag was placed on the statue of Saddam Hussein that day so I could take a picture of it. People watching on their televisions at home saw it too.
They liked it. Or didn’t. Or changed their minds later on. I told a reporter, “I know Iraq didn’t have anything to do with Sept. 11, but I think that given the opportunity, a person like Saddam Hussein would certainly be capable of trying to hit London or Paris or New York.”......................No one has to convince me that there is a difference between the way the world is and the way it should be. I’ll stand for the way the world should be every time. Peace. Human rights. Racial, sexual and religious equality. But when the noise, trouble and hard work get in the way, not everyone makes the same sacrifices. We won’t always get it right, and it’ll never be perfect, but I’m proud of the people I’ve stood with.


Hard to believe I live only an hour's drive from this guy. Guess I should get my butt down there and buy the guy a beer or three!!

8 comments:

MathewK said...

Well said, what pisses me off even more is some of those folks hinder those who want to make those sacrifices, all well and good to want to have nothing to do with something, but to hinder, undermine and hobble those who do is unforgivable.

Anonymous said...

Give him a Bottle of what ever he wants for me Joe!

Stephen R. Maloney said...

McLaughlin sounds like one terrific guy. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yours is a dandy!

I believe it was McLaughlin that I saw on TV five years ago on the day Saddam's statue fell. A great day for Iraq, which can use all the great days it can get.

steve maloney

Average American said...

While we do have a few troops over there causing us shame, the vast majority are a tremendous source of national pride. Tim McLaughlin is one of them.

There are Iraqis that were terribly offended by that picture, and I can't say I really blame them. However, if one reads the entire article, he explains that the picture was only supposed to be for personal use (war keepsake). It was never intended to be grabbed up by the media. Also, it was a very temporary situation and was quickly exchanged for an IRAQI flag!

C.H. said...

Very interesting story. We need more stories like this, as opposed to the 100% negative reports we hear about every night on the news.

Beth said...

You can't rely on the MSM to report the good stuff, but the information super highway will certainly make these sort of stories known to all, as they should be.

Average American said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. We bloggers will just have to take up where mainstream media stops. Somebody's got to spread the good news.

Tapline said...

AA, Good post, This is the first time I have heard this explanation, but one would not expect to get the truth from MSM, now wouuld one????stay well....